• The Jahn Brothers

    ACC JAHN (1865-1947) and FHA JAHN (1871-1967)

    Albert Carl Christian Jahn and his brother Francis H. Aloysius Jahn lived at number 51 from 1905-c1910. They did not own the house so we assume that they were tenants. Born in Stoke-on-Trent they were the sons of Ludwig (Louis)Hartmann Adalbert Jahn (1839-1911). Ludwig was born in Thuringia, Germany and he was a very highly skilled china painter, designer and Art Director of the Minton factory in 1893. This was obviously a creative family because Albert and Francis both became professional artists and art teachers.

    Albert studied at the Hanley School of Art and then the National Art Training Schools (Royal College of Art), winning a scholarship to fund his activities. He came to Sheffield from Wolverhampton, where he had been Curator of the Art Gallery and Head of the Municipal School of Arts and Crafts from 1890-1902. He was then appointed as Headmaster of the Sheffield Technical School of Art in Arundel Street, a post which he held from 1902 until 1925. Jahn brought the influence of William Morris and the Arts and Crafts movement to bear on the work of the Art School. The main purpose of the School was to provide Sheffield’s industries with designers, so Jahn’s work as Headmaster was very important. High quality metal goods from Sheffield that were also beautifully designed had a ready market in Britain and abroad.


    The Art School had been founded in 1857, at a cost of £7000. It was extended and reopened in 1907 by Sir Charles Holroyd. Scholarships and prizes were offered for competition and we have a cartoon of Headmaster Albert Jahn (wearing his gown) presenting prizes at the Art School’s prize day in 1909. This was drawn for the local publication ‘Vulcan’.

    Albert Jahn was a metalworker, jeweller and painter and we know that he produced some beautiful works of art. Examples of his skill as a metalsmith include a fine art nouveau trophy, designed in 1900 for the Wolverhampton Floral Fete, one of the most important flower festivals in Britain at that time. His trophy was made of silver, decorated with coloured enamels. This was a commissioned piece and Mr Jahn had perfected his craft in the West Midlands, in Birmingham and Wolverhampton, where there were renowned groups of highly skilled metalworkers designing in this style.


    In the early years of his career (1900-1901) he also designed Art Nouveau jewellery, including brooches, bracelets, opal and gold rings and a beautiful pendant featuring a portrait of a woman. These were sold to the Victoria and Albert Museum in London. (See illustrations below)

    Invalid Displayed Gallery

    More examples of Albert’s jewellery and a Minton vase painted by their father Louis can be seen on the V and A website.

    Francis lived with his brother Albert at number 51. He had started his working life as a potter’s modeller in Stoke but by the mid 1890s was teaching modelling. He came to Sheffield and was appointed Head of Modelling at the School of Art by his brother. Francis was a very talented sculptor and had a long, successful career exhibiting and selling his work. We know what he looked like because Albert painted a portrait of Francis in his studio at the School of Art;


    After living on Meadow Bank Avenue until 1910 the brothers moved to 1 Sharrow Mount on Psalter Lane and two years later Francis bought a house nearby on Grange Crescent, where he lived until 1930.

    More information on the lives and works of the two Jahn brothers can be found at the University of Glasgow’s ‘Mapping Sculpture’ website;   www.sculpture.gla.ac.uk

    Footnote on the Art School.

    From 1902 the Art School was controlled by a body of managers appointed by the City’s Education Committee and in 1926 its name changed to the College of Arts and Crafts, perhaps a direct reflection of the influence of ACC Jahn. It stayed on Arundel Street until after the Second World War, when it moved to the former Bluecoat School on Psalter Lane. It now forms part of Sheffield Hallam University and moved back into new premises on Arundel Street when the Psalter Lane campus was sold in 2008.
  • Wallace Heaton

    Wallace Heaton, 1878- 1957: From Chemist’s Assistant to Royal Photographer

    We are very grateful to Wallace Heaton’s Grandson, Michael, who kindly supplied the photographs and information for this summary of Wallace’s life. Further material can be accessed online at the Heaton family archive

    Wallace Heaton might not be a familiar name today but in the first half of the 20th century he was a very prominent figure in the field of photography. He and his family lived at 36 Meadow Bank Avenue from c1904-8, before moving to Grindleford and then London, but his obituaries record that he always held Sheffield in great affection and, ‘looked back with pleasure on his years in Sheffield, appreciating the friendly atmosphere in the city’…. He said of London, ‘You never get that neighbourly spirit down here’. Wallace Heaton’s life is an interesting example of how astute business decisions could generate enormous personal and financial benefits, even during periods of national crisis or severe economic depression.

    He was born near Stockton-on-Tees, moving to Leyburn in North Yorkshire at the age of five after the death of his Mother in 1894. He was an only child and when he left school Wallace served an apprenticeship in Lupton’s chemist shop in York. He gradually progressed, completing his Minor exams at Manchester College of Pharmacy and Majors at the Metropolitan College. After working as a Chemist’s Assistant in London and Chemist shop Manager in Brighton, he bought a shop of his own in Sheffield in 1902. He was 24 and the shop was The Angel Pharmacy known as Watson’s on the High Street.

    Wallace Heaton was in the right place at the right time and he seized the opportunity to grow his business and his fortune. Amateur photography was just beginning to become popular with a wider general public and chemists were the only people who could provide the chemicals for film processing. He expanded the chemist shop into a business supplying photographic materials and equipment to both amateurs and professionals. He also recognised the power of advertising and raised the profile of his business through eye-catching posters and advertisements. These were often in the style of humorous cartoons.

    Wallace was married to Ethel May Cundy in 1903. They lived on Meadow Bank Avenue from late 1904 and the photographs below show the pictures he took of the house and Ethel with their daughter Marjorie (b 1904) and son John Wallace (b 1907) in the back garden of the house.


    As business boomed the family grew wealthier and Wallace commissioned the building of a bigger and much grander house on Tedgness Road in Upper Padley, Grindleford. They named it ‘Westwood’ (since renamed ‘Longacres’). This was the first private house ever to be built with a steel frame.

    Wallace’s national profile was also growing. He became the first Secretary of the Photographic Dealers’ Association when it was formed in 1914, its President in 1920 and Honorary Secretary from 1925-36. He was also a very prominent figure in the Masonic movement. He was Master of his lodge in Sheffield and for many years a member and officer of the Grand Lodge in London.

    The Sheffield business continued to thrive and more shops were purchased in Rotherham, Worksop and Retford, but Wallace had bigger ambitions, so in 1919, just after the end of the First World War, he opened a shop on New Bond Street in London and named it Wallace Heaton Ltd. There were six staff in 1919 but the business would grow to employ 350 by the time of Wallace Heaton’s death in 1957. It was in the 1920’s and ‘30’s that Heaton’s became a household name for photography. He advertised on the back of horse-drawn cabs and buses, so that the company was always visible. The humour continued; during the Second World War, when rationing was most strict, he apparently ran an advert saying, ‘Buy a microscope and see your meat ration!’

    He expanded the range of goods on sale to include the very best cameras, microscopes and lenses, supplying the Royal Family as well as professional photographers.

    The family moved from Derbyshire to Wimbledon and by 1928 Wallace Heaton had bought ‘The Black Hut’ near Newdigate, an impressive country house with a 138 acre shoot. The following year he acquired City Sale and Exchange Ltd. and diversified his business into the sale of gramophone records, another astute business decision given the growing popularity of recorded music. He was one of the country’s first record dealers. Business boomed and by 1934 Wallace had bought another property, ‘Wephurst Park’ at Wisboro Green, a 600 acre working farm.

    In 1932 Wallace Heaton Ltd. received its first Royal Warrant from HRH the Prince of Wales. The company would hold the Royal warrant for over two decades. Wallace Heaton was a photographer of the Royal Family and he also supplied them with cameras and equipment. He taught the Queen Mother, the young Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philip how to use their cameras. On his death in 1957 a letter of condolence was sent to his family by the Queen.

    Wallace Heaton published the company’s annual catalogue and price list, The Blue Book, every year from 1949-1972. It showed the very comprehensive range of goods available. Eventually the company was sold in 1972 to Dixons and two decades later photographic processing would change radically with the development of digital photography.

    On January 18th 1957, at the age of 79, Wallace Heaton died at his home in Lancaster Gate London. He had been working in his office until just a few days before his death. His funeral service paid tribute to his many achievements and his charitable donations to a range of good causes:

    ‘However much of the success of his business was due to his perception and astuteness, it drew its strength from the qualities of his own character – his integrity, his forthright honesty and his strict regard for upright dealing… It was characteristic of him that he always seemed to have time to do a kindly deed and give help where help was needed’. Funeral Address given by Dr.Joseph Moffat at St George’s Church, Hanover Square, London W1.

    ‘He stays in the recollection of all who knew him as irrepressively alive – a man fixing his sight on the wide horizon, relentlessly forging ahead and setting the pace for those both marching with him or just following in his footsteps’. We feel that the photographic industry as a whole, and in particular his colleagues, have not fully realised as yet how much he achieved, not only for himself but for everyone connected with photography. (Amateur Photography obituary)

  • William Ripper

    Professor William Ripper, 1853-1937: Educationalist and Engineer

    William Ripper lived at 43 Meadow Bank Avenue from 1912 to 1936. He bought a pair of semi-detached houses, numbers 41 and 43, when the new Edwardian villas were completed following the land sale of 1909. (see Chapter 2 of the Avenue Story). He and his family lived at number 43.

    William Ripper played a very significant role in developing technical education in Sheffield and in establishing the University of Sheffield’s reputation as a respected centre for engineering education and research. In the last decade the University has invested heavily in building stronger links with industry, collaborating to support the development of cutting-edge engineering technologies and improving educational pathways for engineering apprentices and graduates. The Advanced Manufacturing Research Centre is a very visible sign of its success. In many ways these developments mirror the work of William Ripper, who came to Sheffield in 1874 and lived on Meadow Bank Avenue until shortly before his death in 1937.

    His early life was spent in the south west of England. Born in Plymouth in 1853, he was educated there and in Exeter before returning to his home town to become an engineering apprentice. He also worked for a marine engineering company in Stockton-on-Tees. He was nineteen when he won a Queen’s Scholarship to attend Exeter Teacher Training College. This would be turning point for William; two years later in 1874 he arrived in Sheffield as an Assistant Master, employed by the Sheffield School Board. Sir John Brown was Chairman of the Board and he arranged to have classes for engineering artisans at Carbrook School. William Ripper taught them Machine Construction, Drawing and The Steam Engine. He must have made a strong impression because within a year, at the age of twenty two, he was Headmaster of the Walkley Board School, a position he occupied for the next five years on an annual salary of £110. Significantly he also taught classes at the Mechanics’ Institute.

    The opening of the Central Higher Grade Board School was very significant for science education in Sheffield. In 1880 William Ripper became the Central School’s Science Master and he continued to organise evening classes at the old Firth College. Very bright pupils were attracted to the courses and the pioneering opportunities to work in Science Laboratories and Manual Training Workshops. This change in education was prompted by a fear that other countries were moving ahead of Britain with better designs and lower prices for their products. Ripper’s commitment to the Technical Movement was crucial. The numbers of students accessing the courses increased year on year and new staff were recruited to meet the demand. Local benefactors like Sir F.T.Mappin provided the funding to buy whatever equipment was required.

    In 1884 a Department of Metallurgy and Engineering was added to the College. W.H.Greenwood became the Professor of Metallurgy and Principal of the College: William Ripper was chosen as his deputy, becoming Professor of Engineering. This new department grew into the Sheffield Technical School and in 1889 William Ripper was its Principal. A year later he was offered the chance to develop a complete system of technical education by the Government of New Zealand. Initially he accepted what must have been a tempting opportunity – but when his Sheffield salary was doubled to persuade him to stay here he withdrew his acceptance!

    As well as leading the Technical Education movement Ripper championed the campaign for pollution control and cleaner air. He believed that science and industry had to work together and lectured on ‘Smoke Prevention in Sheffield’ as early as 1892. The city was notoriously dirty; an article in the London Daily Telegraph at that time said ‘the nether world had no terrors for Sheffield folk, so hardened were they to perpetual smoke and flame’. His scientific work began to focus on superheated steam and the development of a new twin-cylinder superheated motor as a means of reducing pollution.

    Professor Ripper was a founder member of the Sheffield Society of Engineers and amalgamated this body with the Sheffield Metallurgical Society in 1894, becoming its President from 1901-3.

    There was an even more significant development in 1897, when the Technical School, Firth College and the Sheffield School of Medicine were united and consolidated as the Sheffield University College. The funding for the University College came in part from public donations and William Ripper was praised by Sir William Clegg for his efforts in convincing the city’s manufacturers that they should support the development. Many employers had been hostile to the idea of providing education for their workers but it was the workers themselves who showed their support, by organising penny collections in the factories in support of technical education for all who could benefit from it.

    The Sheffield Weekly News of December 2nd 1900 wrote,

    ‘Professor Ripper is a moral as well as an intellectual force at the Technical School. He holds that man can be elevated by education, apart from any pecuniary or social uplifting. He would like to see education in England continued beyond the age of 14 or 15, believing that elementary education only supplies the tools for the future student to work with. Ripper had contrasted the situation in England with the Continent, ‘where they do not allow a man to consider himself educated unless he has been to a school or training institution until about twenty years of age’.

    Professor Ripper is a member of the Institution of Civil Engineers and Institute of Mechanical Engineers. He is a luminous as well as a voluminous writer. The steam engine is his hobby. He lays his hand upon the engine’s pulse and plays familiarly with its pressure gauge’

    In an article in the weekly pamphlet, ‘Young Sheffield’, Professor Ripper’s message to young Sheffielders was clear;

    ‘all the city’s central schools, technical schools and colleges etc. are of very little real value, unless a student understands that his progress depends upon himself primarily, and upon his work, and that he must only look upon these institutions as valuable helps, not as substitutes for that personal effort, without which nothing worth having can be acquired’.

    Conditions in the new Electrical Engineering Section of the University were far from grand. In 1902 they had 225 students but only two small rooms, one of which was a cellar. Professor Ripper was a member of the Sheffield Education Committee, Chaired by Sir Henry Stephenson. In October 1903 he represented Sheffield on the Alfred Moseley Commission’s visit to America to study technical education in the eastern states.

    The University College became the University of Sheffield in 1905 and William Ripper added Dean of the Faculty of Applied Science to his Professorial role. An Honorary Doctorate in Engineering was awarded to him in 1908. A second Honorary Doctorate was awarded by the University of Bristol in 1912.

    When the First World War broke out Professor Ripper played his part by serving as Vice-Chairman of the Sheffield Munitions Committee, which met every day at the University. He and his department trained munitions workers and manufactured gauges for military applications. He was made a Companion of Honour in 1917 for his work and when King George V and Admiral Jellicoe visited Sheffield, he showed them round his department.

    At that time the Vice Chancellor of the University was H.A.L.Fisher, but he resigned to become Minister of Education in Lloyd George’s Government. Professor Ripper replaced him, serving as VC for two years before returning to his passion of engineering in 1919. During this time he also served on the City’s Commission for Peace.

    William Ripper saw his efforts to bridge the gap between science and industry come to fruition in the creation of the Trades Technical Societies. The role of these societies was to help workers who were neither members of scientific societies nor students. They began as a series of public meetings and discussions for workmen in the cutlery, file and tool industries. From these developed regular courses and formal societies for men unused to study, but of considerable skill and experience. By 1950 there were 25 of these societies in Sheffield alone and many more across the country.

    From 1919 he was Professor of Mechanical Engineering and Dean of the Faculty of Engineering. He published books on steam engines, heat engines, machine drawing and design, and practical chemistry. Retiring in 1923 at the age of 70 he remained an Emeritus Professor of Engineering and Advisor in Technology and lived in Sheffield on Meadow Bank Avenue until 1936. He died in Brighton at his daughter’s home on 13th August 1937 at the age of 84. He was buried at Fulwood Church.


    University of Sheffield Magazine, Volume 1, Number 1, 1937 – Obituary

    University of Sheffield Newsletter, April 1980

    Sheffield Weekly News, December 22nd 1900

    Young Sheffield pamphlet, 1900

  • Florry Harding

    Florry Harding. Domestic Maid.

    A recent donation to the Meadow Bank Avenue archive of 103 vintage postcards has given us a glimpse into the life of Florry Harding, a young woman from Chesterfield who spent the years 1904-1911 working as a domestic maid in Nether Edge, (including some time on the Avenue), and Grindleford.

    During the Edwardian era postcards were sent on a very regular basis between family members, sweethearts and friends. The illustrated postcards sent to Florry cover a range of subjects. They include views and sketches of local places, beauty spots, tourist attractions, famous houses, churches, and portraits of famous singers and actresses. Florry seems to have been a keen collector of this last group. There are also a couple of postcard photographs featuring family members.

    Florry’s family lived at 28 Valley Road, Spital in Chesterfield. Her Father was Alfred Harding and her Mother’s name was Ann. Both parents originally came from Essex. She was born in 1884 and had four older brothers, Frederick, George, Ernest and Charles and two younger sisters, Alice and Clara. The last addition to the family was Robert (Bob), born in 1891.

    The information below has been selected from a few of the postcards sent to Florry, (also  referred to as Flo, Florrie, or Cookie by her family and friends) between 1904 and 1911.

    In 1904 Florry Harding was living at ‘Everley’, 18 Meadow Bank Avenue. She was a domestic maid to the Smith family. Her brother George was a solicitor’s clerk in Chesterfield and he wrote long, often humorous messages on his cards. He would also chide his sister for not writing home often enough. The messages below are typical of his densely packed postcard messages, written in a tiny, neat script:


    Good morning Cookie, Send us a line to say when you and Alice are coming over. There will be nothing much for you but we would try to have a plum pudding for you. Grandmother is not so well. In a letter from Sarah this week she says that Grandmother is in bed with influenza but the worst seems to be over. Everybody else over in Essex seems to be off the hook. Thank goodness we don’t live in those poor old houses.  Lily got your friends and your postcards the other morning and was very pleased. Bob had a day off work this week, he is alright now and his Father Christmas came up. Bob has got a 1/- raise..  All others are jolly well. How are you? Your big tea fight comes off next week doesn’t it? Hope you manage alright. Goodbye, George. 

    (*Editor’s note: 1/- is one shilling, equivalent to 5p today)

    21.10.1905, headed ‘Spital Mail’ :

    Well my little Maid, good morning to you. Shall we hear from you tomorrow, Sunday morning? News is scarce from our absentees. This is the last postcard, hour time and postcards go, don’t they? Ernest says he is coming over for a weekend the next time you are at home. The piano has been sent home and it is all right again now. Sarah is keeping house for Charlie and they have got Annie home but not the baby. Nellie Sharpe is very ill. It strikes me you are very mad about something; what is it? Lil’s wondering about that ball you kicked in the river. Everybody here are all right. Flags are flying for Nelson. I had a day at Quarter Sessions at Derby on Wednesday. I was in Sheffield on business a fortnight ago but couldn’t stop.  Goodbye, Geo. Harding

    Another of George’s postcards to Meadow Bank Avenue dates from August 1905, when Joseph Chamberlain, (Conservative MP) was actively campaigning for tariff reform. On the back of a picture of Welbeck Abbey in Nottinghamshire, George wrote:

    Welbeck is the Duke of Portland’s residence, where Joey Chamberlain stayed last week for his speech in the riding school, which is in the grounds. It is a wonderful place but personally I do not care for such a show of wealth. The untenanted Haddon is far beyond it for beauty. D and I went over the grounds at Welbeck last Wednesday – the day before the speech. 

    Florry also had a sweetheart named William Shaw. He lived in Sheffield and sent regular postcards to add to her collection. William would often send Florry cards to confirm their arrangements for meeting up;

    5.6.1904 – sent to Everley, 18 Meadow Bank Avenue.

    Dear Florrie, I am very sorry not to have wrote sooner as I am longing to see you. Will you kindly write and let me know the earliest I can see you. Any time will do for me. Wm. 

    13.1.1905 – sent to ‘Everley’ 18, Meadow Bank Avenue

    Dear Florrie, How are you this morning? I hope you have managed the party successfully and are none the worse after it. Will you kindly write to me as soon as possible. I was sorry not to see you on Tuesday. Wm.

    There are comments on some of William’s postcards which suggest that Florry wasn’t happy at the Smiths’ and that the work was hard.

    10.5.1905 – sent to Everley, 18 Meadow Bank Avenue

    Dear Florrie,  How are you getting on, has work gone down very bad today, I suppose it will have. I have just been to see a fire at a comb factory. I had wrote 4 words of this when I heard of it , the place is ruined burnt down to the ground. I hope you are writing me tonight? I am longing to hear from you. goodbye, Wm.  what do you think of this PC.

    By September 1905 Florry had a new employer, Mr Pickford of 30 Oakhill Road.

    5.9.1905 – sent to 30 Oakhill Road

    Dear Flory, Sorry not to have seen you.I didn’t think you were coming. I suppose you have managed very well without me. I shall ring you up tomorrow, your mistress can neither think or say anything. I shall have to post this without a stamp. This house by the way I remember quite well.  Wm.

    In 1906 she was receiving cards at Ivydene, 12 Adelaide Road, the home of a Mrs Wing. Brother George wrote to her on the subject of the January 1906 election in which Joseph Chamberlain’s Conservative party was soundly defeated by the Liberals. Chesterfield and all the Derbyshire constituencies were won by Liberal candidates. Most of Sheffield remained Conservative, except for Brightside and Attercliffe.


    The top of the morning to you. I see Sir Howard Vincent went to help Sir F Milner at Bassetlaw but Sir Fredk lost and I hope that this is not a bad omen for us on Wednesday. We are in the thick of it now. I am giving you a new name on this postcard as you will see, although it is not the right one.*

    Fred says the panto at the Royal was nothing extra except the last scene and where the two Slops come in. Our Lil has got some new boots. Goodbye, love from us all, George Harding.

    *Editor’s note: George addressed this postcard to Florence rather than Florry.  Her birth name was registered as Florry, which is why he says Florence is not the right one.

    A year later she was again working for the Pickford family, and she moved with them to Padley Hill Grindleford, into an attractive Edwardian detached house named ‘Newstead’.  Her employer, Joseph James Pickford developed a successful brick making business (Pickford Holland), producing specialist bricks for the steel and glassmaking industries. He became Company Chairman in 1913.

    Some of the 1907 postcards from William to Florry are addressed to her at the Harding family home in Spital. This seems to be linked to a period of ill-health during the summer months:

    11.8.1907 postcard from William sent to 28 Valley Road, Spital, Chesterfield.

    Dear Florry, I could not make up my mind whether or not to come, I have hesitated at each train this afternoon, but it won’t matter you will get on very well without me; I may come by the train arrives Ches. 7.15pm Mon. If you are out you might meet it but I am not sure of coming. I will close now, hoping Lily is getting right again. Love to you. Wm.

    Florry returned to Grindleford and remained in the employment of the Pickfords until late 1911.

    Postcard from her Brother George, 27.4.1908. – sent to Newstead, Grindleford.

    I was glad to hear you had a walk over on Easter Monday but what a day it was. Did you come along Froggat Edge or round the road by the village? At any rate I am glad you tried it because it is a nice walk, isn’t it? Clara got our Alice’s things packed off last Wed: and Alice has written saying she is very pleased with them, and has paid up with a little bonus as well. I hope this sort of weather will keep on all the summer now. We heard from Grandma last week and she keeps about the same. Kate Frost wrote for her. All’s well here . Nothing new to see or talk about. The collection for Easter Day at the Parish Church was £115 which is given to our vicar. Goodbye, 

    Geo. Harding.

    Her sisters Alice and Clara also sent cards from time to time with news of family and friends:

    15.4.1909 postcard from Clara.

    Dear Flo, Mother has gone today (Wed.). Burying Grandma on Friday. I expected a letter from you this morning. I have got you some black material for a costume; I could not wait so risked getting it,hope you won’t mind but time is so precious and I thought I must get on with it. Will you answer by return what length coat you will have and if you will have any military braid on or plain. Are you coming over this weekend or shall I have to send it? Let me know. Cissie is housekeeping. 

    12.9.1909  postcard from Alice.

    Dear Flo, You see I am writing as promised although it is only a postcard. We are going on alright and Mother seems fairly well. We do hope you are better. We keep hearing from George. He is enjoying himself fine. The photos are very good indeed. What do you think, Nellie MacDougall or rather Nellie Brown is dead and was buried yesterday. Isn’t it awful and you knew her so well. Consumption. Two children, one died I think.

    William’s postcards were still arriving regularly at the Grindleford address. His messages were more openly affectionate by this stage…..


    Dear Florry, You must excuse me not writing a letter. I should have nothing at all to tell you I am sure. I hope you are feeling contented today, I guess the weather is miserable it is awful here but you must cheer up Dear. Did you get home safely last night, I ought to have gone with you but with your train home being late it is doubtful if I could have seen you home to catch the train home again! I walked back from Totley, not another for 3/4 of an hour. Will you kindly write me tomorrow and let me know about the weekend. I would like to know early and then can arrange. I wish I were coming tonight 6.15pm. Love from Wm.

    By 1910, younger brother Bob (now aged 19) had married Jenny and he wrote to his sister with news of their trips to London.

    7.9.2010 Hendon.

    Dear Flo, I am sorry I have not wrote before but I was in such a flurry Sat and Sun, and Mon and Tues I had toothache bad. So I had it out yesterday, 2/6. (12p in modern money) They are dear here.It is about right now, there was a gathering under it. Well on Sunday I went to Westminster Cathedral to evening service, it was grand and we went all over London. Mon night we went to the Empire, I am enjoying myself grand. Jenny sends her love and will write soon. Bob.

    20.9.1911 Hendon.

    Dear Flo, We are enjoying ourselves splendid, we’ve had nice weather till today and it is raining hard now. We’ve been all over and seen the sights. We went all over Selfridges yesterday swanking. We heard the Derbyshire Choir sing at the Crystal Palace on Sat. and it was grand. We’ve been shop-gazing this morning. Millinery, dress etc. etc. When we come to a gents outfitter it was a walk by.  Love and kisses Bob and Jenny.

    Soon after this, at the age of 25, Florry left service to marry William and set up a home in Sheffield. All the postcards sent from 1912 onwards are addressed to Mrs W Shaw or Mr and Mrs W.Shaw, 76 Whitehouse Crescent, Woodseats. The Shaws went on to have a family of their own, a daughter Margaret and son Kenneth. The family appear to have moved to Smithywood Crescent in the mid 1920s. Florry continued to collect postcards, some of which were bought for her by the children.